Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Hi, My Name is Sarah!

This is an experiment.

Hi, my name is Sarah and I'm from Ohio.  Now I live in Somerville, Massachusetts, but I still walk around town wearing my Cleveland Indians hat, even after a decade here and two Boston Red Sox World Series victories.  I love what I love -- it's as simple as that.  And besides baseball, there are two things I love tremendously in life:  writing and yoga.  I've been writing stories and poems since I was able to hold a pencil and its my love of the art that brought me to Emerson College to earn an MFA in Creative Writing, a degree I completed in 2005.  Moving to Boston opened my life up to a world of new opportunities, including a wonderful community of artists, musicians, and free-thinkers as well as the beautiful practice of yoga.  I fell hard and fast for this athletic yet meditative form of total mind/body exercise and have prioritized my time on my mat for the last five or six years.

Life is a wild and crazy adventure sometimes and I have no idea why it took the idea so long to form in my brain, but early in 2012, I started to daydream about an experience that would combine yoga and writing.  This idea grew out of a series of conversations I had with a dear friend who was combining his own meditation practice with journaling.  I thought to myself, why can't there be a yoga class that did the same thing?  I wasn't a yoga teacher, though, so I let the idea pass pleasantly through my mind as "maybe someday."

And then, with little warning, the opportunity for me to train to be a yoga teacher fell out of the sky -- a little care package from the Universe, if you will.  The teacher training was an unexplainable, wonderful, irreplaceable, unexpected adventure.  But once the training was complete, I was uncertain how I wanted to utilize what I'd learned.  And then my "maybe someday" floated through my brain once more and I knew this was something I had to try.  I shared the idea with friends and fellow yogis, really anyone who would listen, and after receiving so much warm feedback, I decided to get this project off the ground.  My wonderful friend and fellow RYT* Sarah Bayle is working with me now to develop the pilot program for what I am calling Dedication Yoga.  Between the two Sarahs, we've got lots of ideas and are incredibly excited to see this get started.

We will update you as we go...

Sarah Wolf

*RYT = Registered Yoga Teacher











No comments:

Post a Comment