Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Yoga Weather

Dedication Yoga's weekly class on Prospect Hill in Somerville, MA has been suspended for the long, cold New England winter for the obvious reason -- this is a heat-building practice, yes, but the atmosphere in which we practice has to be accommodating.  I miss my time outside with all of my dedicated yogis, many of whom had near-perfect attendance all summer.  I wonder what they're doing now -- if they've found a place to practice indoors.  Because, in all honesty, this brisk chill and early nightfall makes for perfect yoga weather.  Just think of it -- dimly lit studio, heat cranked to 80-degrees, skilled teacher leading a room full of practioners through a sweaty sequence.  I love my evenings on the mat and I make my practice happen nearly seven days a week.  What else would I rather be doing?  I always make the time for this.

It's especially easy for me to do because I work for a yoga studio, the very same where I did my teacher training last spring, so I spend a lot of my time in that environment.  How did I ever get so lucky?  And while I do not teach at this studio, I do still treat it as an education -- a way to learn about my practice and learn from it, too.  I love being a student -- I always have -- but I love it even more now that I have the background in teaching.  It adds a creative layer, a new perspective, a way to see things in a fresh way.  Yoga keeps my learning active and I want to participate in every class.  It's a wonderful thing.


No comments:

Post a Comment