Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Keeping It Simple

My friend Maggie came up to me at the end of Ann's stellar Intermediate class at O2 Yoga last night and said, "Can I tell you something awesome?  I did Revolved Triangle for the first time tonight."  Immediately, a grin took over my face and I high fived her.  I don't know that I will ever do Revolved Triangle with square hips let alone without props, so I appreciate how exciting it must be to get into that difficult pose.  Maggie teased about it being a "dear diary" moment, but, truthfully, it is one.  Part of the joy of yoga is achieving these milestones and no matter how experienced you are, there is always something to work towards.  Every time you roll out your mat, your practice will feel different and that's a pretty exciting thing.  

On days I can't make it into the studio to practice, I like to step onto my mat at home and do my own thing.  One of the simplest ways to build heat quickly and feel like I've really gotten a swift but solid practice in is to do five Sun Saluation A's and five Sun Salutation B's.  This is the way the warm up for the Primary Series of Astanga begins, though it's arguably a pretty well-rounded practice on its own.  I made an audio recording cuing the practice to share with all of you.  I can also send you an mp3 if you'd prefer.  Just email me at dedicationyoga@gmail.com :)

Keep it simple.  After all, any time on your mat is time well spent!


No comments:

Post a Comment